Current Affairs – 16th March 2018
India Current Affairs
Cabinet clears MoU between India and Iran
- The cabinet has given complete approval for the MoU between India and Iran regarding cooperation in the field of health and medicine.
- MoU also includes exchanges of experiences in the training of doctors and other health professionals.
- It includes pharmaceuticals, regulation of medical equipment and medical research, cooperation in the field of new technologies and knowledge-based initiatives.
Future Group signed as a partner sponsor
- Future Group has been signed as Associate Sponsor with Star India for the forthcoming Vivo-IPL 2018.
- Future Group will be an associate sponsor in association with brands such as Asian Paints, Dream 11, MakeMyTrip, which makes the total number of Sponsors 8.
- Vivo – IPL 2018 will show 700 million viewers in 5 regional languages including English through many screens and languages.
India’s growth will be 7.3% in the next financial year
- Fitch has estimated through imagination that India’s economic growth will reach 7.3 percent in the next financial year and 7.5 percent in 2019-20.
- It said that the supply of money reached level before the monetization in mid-2017 and the barrier related to GST gradually reduced.
- In Global Economic Outlook report, Fitch has predicted an economic growth of 6.5% in this financial year for the Indian economy.
‘Digital Export-Import’ payment by Yes Bank
- Yes, Bank has started a Robotics-based ‘Digital Export-Import’ payment solution as part of the YES Transit Smart Trade Product Suite.
- Its aim is to make more than 1 lakh business transactions digital in major geographic areas, including China, US.
- This product uses robotics process automation and helps eliminate the need to present documents for import and export payments.
Edelweiss canceled the acquisition of Religare
- Edelweiss Group canceled the plan to acquire the securities of Religare Enterprises.
- This move was stopped due to the inability of the vendor to get the requisite clearance within the required time frame.
- Edelweiss had earlier announced its plan to purchase Religare Business of Religare, which includes securities and merchandise brokerage, and depository partner services.
All Women’s Branch of Karnataka Bank
- Karnataka Bank has started its first All India Women’s Branch on Bull Temple Road in Bangalore.
- It is 36V opened by the bank during the current financial year 2017-18 and it is a total of 800 V branch of the bank.
- Karnataka Bank is a premier banking institution of private sector based in Mangaluru, Karnataka.
TDP out of NDA
- The Telugu Desam Party has decided to exit the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance.
- On the issue of giving special status to Andhra Pradesh, the BJP and its Andhra ally TDP are facing tension.
- With the exit of TDP’s NDA, it has become the first party to leave the coalition since coming to power in the center in 2014.
Chief Justice of Nepal sack
- Chief Justice of Nepal, Gopal Parajuli has been dismissed for giving a fake date of birth to stay in office for a long time.
- A judicial council concluded that it was supposed to have retired on 7 months before 65 years of Parajuli, who is the retirement age for official posts in Nepal.
- The first woman judge to hold the post of defeat was named Chief Justice after 65 years of Sushila Karaki.
Modi inaugurated Science Congress in Manipur
- Prime Minister Nirav Narendra Modi will inaugurate 105th Indian Science Congress at Manipur University
- In this, 5000 representatives, including so called scientists, scholars and corporate officers from different parts of the country and other countries participated.
- This is the first time that Indian Science Congress got being organized in Manipur.
Bhaskaran’s winner won the Reykjavik Open
- Bhaskaran of India won the title of 33th Reykjavik Open with a spectacular win in five games out of nine games.
- After Abhijeet Gupta (in 2016), the honorable conqueror of the prestigious Reykjavik Open became the only other Indian.
- He was the World Under-16 Champion of 2008 and Indian Champion of 2009.
Pranab Mukherjee Foundation started
- Former President Pranab Mukherjee and industrialist Ratan Tata formally inaugurated the Pranab Mukherjee Foundation in New Delhi.
- This foundation has been established in partnership with various companies including Tata Trust.
- The goal of the Foundation is to work in the fields of research, education, and rural development.
ODI status to Nepal
- For the first time Nepal got one-day international (ODI) status with a six-wicket victory over Papua New Guinea.
- In 1988, Nepal was given affiliate status by the ICC, and it was promoted to Associate Rank in 1996.
- After Afghanistan, Nepal is fast moving forward in terms of development.
UN renews South Sudan mission
- United Nations Security Council unanimously adopted the resolution of renewing its peace mission in South Sudan for one year.
- It also threatened to impose arms restrictions in Sudan if needed.
- Its aim is to put pressure on the warring parties of South Sudan as they are joining a new round of peace talks in Ethiopia next month to end the four-year war.
SoftBank Capital Communications In Groffers
- Online grocery firm Groophers mobilized Rs. 400 crores during a new funding under the leadership of the Japanese Group Softbank Group.
- With a new round of financing, the growers said that it will continue to invest in building private label and supply chain reforms.
- Tiger Global and other investors including Apollo Asia are also involved in the financing round.
US Imposes Restrictions on Russia
- The US has implemented a series of restrictions on top Russian detective agencies and cyber actors for alleged interference in the 2016 elections and for conducting separate cyber attacks.
- This step by the Trump administration is the first answer to Russia’s intervention during election campaign.
- The personal chef Yevgeny Pragoghin of Russian President Vladimir Putin is one of the few Americans chosen.
Slovenian Prime Minister resigns
- Slovenian Prime Minister Miro Syarar handed over his resignation after a court canceled the results of the government’s referendum.
- This step was taken three months before the general election in June.
- The Constitutional Court found that the government did not work with fairness as it spent public funds to get a vote in favor of the plan.
Tommy Haas announces retirement
- Former world number two tennis player Tommy announced his official retirement from tennis.
Sydney Olympics finished his career with 569 wins.
- His most recent solo titles came from victory in 2013 in Vienna and Munich.
- Haas reached his career second highest ranking in 2002 and stayed in the top 20 for eight seasons.